Borough Hall: 908-245-6222

Construction Permit F.A.Q.

Municipal Complex - Second Floor - 110 East Westfield Ave. - Roselle Park, NJ 07204

908-245-6222 (Main)

908-245-2721 (Office)

908-298-9718 (Fax)

Office Hours: Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Dumpster Permits are now issued through the Construction Office



  • Where do I get a permit?
    You could pick up a permit from our office any time between 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or go to Online Forms on main page to download building, electrical, fire and plumbing permit applications online.

    Note - all permits need a final inspection when work is completed in order to close out and receive your Certificate of approval. This certifies work was done in accordance with New Jersey UCC Code.


  • Do I have to get a certified Plumber/Electrician or can I do the work myself?
    If you own and occupy a one family residence, you may do the work yourself if you wish.
  • How do I get rid of my Asbestos?
    There is a difference between removing asbestos from a renovation as opposed to a demolition of a building.



Zoning and Building Permits
  • What is the purpose of zoning?
    The purpose is to ensure that any proposed use, construction, or alteration is allowed in the zone and will be located within the required setbacks from the property lines. In almost all cases, a Zoning Permit will be required before a Building Permit can be issued. Always check with the building department to determine whether a permit is necessary. If you cannot meet zoning requirements, it may be possible to obtain a variance.


Permit Type Information/Requirements

Additions (information)
Additions or alterations must necessitate upgrading of the existing building to comply with current requirements, including, but not limited to, light, air, egress, and smoke detectors, as part of the construction. The Building Department has general guidelines available to assist residents for most home improvement projects.

All permits require an inspection, and many permits require more than one inspection. Ask our staff about the details on scheduling an inspection.

  • Banner: Zoning Permit
        Banner Content
        Freestanding or attached

  • Deck: for information (click here
        Zoning Permit– Building Permit 
        Survey – 2 sets of drawings - 270 Form
  • Driveway 
        Zoning Permit - Survey 
        (New & Replacement)
  • Fence 
        Fence Permit & Survey 
        6 Ft. height max., 4 ft. front with 50% visibility
  • Patio 
        Zoning Permit & Survey 
        Needs to show site and be signed & dated 
        Size & setbacks
  • Pool 
        Jacket– Zoning & Building Permit 
        (Above Ground) Electrical Permit 
        Survey/size of pool
  • Pool 
        Jacket– Zoning & Building Permit 
        (In-Ground) Electrical Permit 
        Survey & 2 sets of architectural drawings

Alterations (information)


Some instances of when permits are required are follows:

  • Zoning approval and Building Permits are required for most home improvement projects, including additions, decks, sheds, fireplaces, and swimming pools.
  • A Zoning Permit is required for a new and replacement sidewalk, driveway, apron, patio, fences, or service walks.
  • A Building Permit & Zoning permit, is also required for roofing and siding.
  • An Electrical Permit is required for most electrical work.
  • A Fire Protection Permit is required for smoke and heat detectors and fire suppression work.
  • A Plumbing Permit is required for replacement or installation of a furnace, boiler, water service, hot water heater or sewer or gas lines. Electrical and Fire Permits are also required for HVAC furnace and boiler replacement or new units.


What information is needed to obtain a permit?

A survey plan indicating the location of proposed construction on your property and conformity to the applicable setbacks is required to obtain zoning approvals. The survey plan must be prepared based upon a survey performed by a licensed land surveyor. A survey of your property is required. Plans must be submitted in accordance with the provisions of the Uniform Commercial Code: Two sets of plans and supporting documentation reflecting the manner in which the improvement is to be constructed or installed are required to obtain a Building Permit. All drawings must be to scale. Plans must be prepared by either a New Jersey licensed architect, engineer, or single-family homeowner who has prepared his or her own plans for construction, alteration, or repair of a structure used or intended to be used exclusively as his or her private residence and to be constructed by him or herself.

How do I know how to prepare the plans?

  • Building Plans must comply with the IBC (International Building Code NJ Edition), 2000 Edition.
  • Plumbing plans must comply with the National Standard Plumbing Code, 2000 Edition.
  • Fire plans and mechanical plans must comply with the IBC Fire and Mechanical Codes, 2000 Edition.
  • Electrical plans must comply with the NEC (National Electric Code), 2002 Edition
Translate »